Turmoil in Tibet Not Rattling Investors Yet
Despite several days of rioting in Tibet, investors in China and Hong Kong have taken little notice of the unrest, and market observers don't appear to be expecting that to change substantially any time soon.
Since Saturday, violence prompted by antigovernment protestors has largely been overshadowed by news of surging energy prices and the $2-a-share sale of Bear Stearns (BSC) to JPMorgan Chase (JPM). Few investors in Hong Kong think the Tibetan riots are significant, and most say that if any selling appears as a result of them, investors should view the cheaper stocks as a bargain.
"Tibet is too small a part of the Chinese economy for this to matter much," says Michael Spencer, chief Asia economist for Deutsche Bank in Hong Kong. "This is a political disruption in a very, very small and insignificant economic part of China."
Others generally concur. "From the point of view of Hong Kong investors, people don't really bother to look at it. They'd rather focus on the U.S. fundamentals," says Andy Lam, associate director of Harris Fraser in Hong Kong.
China Watch: Play It Safe, Play to Win
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV