American Airlines Loses to Low-Cost Carriers in Colombia
In taking seven weekly frequencies from American, the department said the value of additional Miami routes, which American had planned, is "outweighed by the benefits of new competition in the market and expanded service options in the overall U.S.-Colombia market."
American originally sought a court review in January because of a continuing dispute with the department that began when Spirit and Delta asked last year that some of its routes -- unused at the time -- be reallocated. Then Barranquilla, American's intended market, was designated for open skies, meaning route authorities were no longer required to serve it.
As for Charlotte, the department argued the city has less local traffic to Bogota than any other market proposed in the case, and said one-stop service available through Charlotte largely duplicates existing one-stop service on other carriers, even though "we certainly recognize that US Airways' proposal would produce some of the public benefits typically associated with new entry."
In its application, US Airways said the burgeoning Charlotte hub could definitely support Bogota service and noted that, in the past, the department has not viewed local market size "as the only, or the most important, factor in carrier selection proceedings."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV