Monday's Tech Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:36 p.m. EDT with new stock prices
Tech stocks were mostly down Monday along with the major market indices as Wall Street grappled with rising oil prices and downbeat news from the financial services sector.
Intel (INTC) rose 5 cents, or 0.3%, to $20.12 after analyst comments about a recovery in the memory chips market. Chip maker Texas Instruments (TXN) is also expected to offer a mid-quarter update that could offer clues to the health of the semiconductors industry.
Shares of Level 3 Communications (LVLT) sank 31 cents, or 14.2%, to $1.87 after company president and chief Operating Officer Kevin O'Hara stepped down, effective immediately. Level 3 also terminated its previously disclosed search for a new CFO, saying incumbent Sunit Patel will continue in the role.Video games publisher Take-Two Interactive (TTWO) was down 72 cents, or 2.8%, to $24.85, a day ahead of the company's first-quarter fiscal 2008 results. Analysts are expecting a loss of 51 cents on revenue of $211.15 million in the quarter. For the second quarter, analyst estimate the company will post revenue of $462.77 million and earnings of $1.02 a share. Shares of VMware (VMW) declined $3.94, or 7.7%, to $47.51, hitting a new 52-week low. The stock is down nearly 40% since Jan. 28, when the company forecast growth of 50% for 2008, down from a 85% growth rate in 2007. VMware has been battling increased competition from companies such as Microsoft (MSFT) and Citrix (CTXS). EMC (EMC) fell 33 cents, or 2.2%, to $14.70 after portable data storage company Iomega (IOM) rejected EMC's $3.25 a share bid for it. Shares of Iomega gained 54 cents, or 20.3%, to $3.20. Google (GOOG) fell $19.73, or 4.6%, to $413.62, hitting a new 52-week low.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV