Is Salesforce on the Block?
The potential bidding price of Salesforce is inconsequential to a huge software company like Oracle or Microsoft, Bender said. And Salesforce's earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) margin was a stellar 28.9% in November on a trailing 12-months basis, compared to an EBITDA margin of 11.2% for the software industry at large, and 7.5% for SaaS companies, he said.
SaaS companies are slower to arrive at profitability, but yield higher margins than traditional "shrink-wrap" software providers as they mature, Bender said.
Salesforce's margin should make it an attractive buyout candidate. To an acquirer, Salesforce "is going to be accretive and very, very profitable," Bender noted. Software Equity Group does not have a stake in any SaaS company discussed or trade in their securities.
"The behemoths have struggled mightily to penetrate" the market for small and medium enterprises (SME), to little effect, Bender said.Software as a service is the most viable way to sell to such businesses. Although this market is the "holy grail" to large software developers, small and medium-sized businesses have not responded to them, he added. Software Equity Group's SaaS index lists 18 companies. These 18 grew revenue at 42.5% in 2007, compared to top-line growth for all public companies of 14.4%, according to Software Equity Group. If Benioff is looking to sell, now would be the time, as Salesforce's trajectory begins to taper off under the rule of large numbers. The company's revenue grew 83.5% in 2005, 75% in 2006 and likely grew 49% for all of 2007, Bender said. "That's still phenomenally more successful than the software industry at large," Bender said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV