Delta-Northwest Deal Could Be in Jeopardy
"In ALPA merger policy, seniority suffers from a negative legislative history, because if a seniority integration factor that was
The arbitrator also took the position that US Airways, operating under bankruptcy protection, was in imminent danger of collapse. That wouldn't be a factor in Delta and Northwest arbitration.
The market has shown concern about Delta and Northwest since pilots failed to reach a deal over the weekend. On Monday, the Amex Airline Index rose slightly, but shares in Northwest lost 2.8%, while Delta fell 1.5%, partially reflecting investor doubts about the likelihood of a merger. All three declined on Tuesday.
"This is definitely working at its own pace," says William Swelbar, a researcher at MIT's International Center for Air Transportation. "But in the end, I am going to be surprised if Northwest pilots stand in the way of a deal."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV