eBay's Woes Won't End With Sellers' Boycott
"eBay is still the best place for sellers who have not achieved scale (required) for Amazon or Google," he says.
Beyond the fee change, eBay is also imposing a new rating system, which will influence the order in which sellers show up in searches on the site and that too could affect eBay's total listings.
A few months ago, eBay began allowing buyers to anonymously rank sellers based on their level of communication, shipping times, shipping and handling charges and the accuracy of their auctioned items' descriptions.
Next month, the company will use those rankings to sort which sellers should appear first in the site's search results. High-ranking sellers will rise to the top while low-ranking sellers will fall to the bottom.But Brown points out that high-ranking sellers aren't necessarily eBay's biggest sellers, so listings have a potential to fall. "One of our concerns around the stock right now is the tremendous amount of uncertainty," he says. Boyd agrees that there is still a lot of unknowns about eBay right now. But at the same time, the company had no choice but to make a move, given the rising competition surrounding it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV