Three Buys From Chicago Bear Hunter Hillenmeyer
Lastly, for the speculative investor out there, take a look at Steve Madden (SHOO). This company has been battered lately and has likely fallen as low as it will go. The big upside potential here is that this company is a likely buyout target.
Even if the debt markets make a buyout less likely, look for a stock buyback announcement from SHOO sometime soon. I like the big upside if someone moves in, especially with little risk of the stock falling much farther than it already has. Shares closed Friday at $16.69. For those true risk-takers out there, buy some longer-term, out-of-the-money call options to cash in on a nice buyout offer.
All three of these companies have good track records and reason to have faith in them even in tough markets. My advice in a market like this is to pick your spots. Find companies with growth opportunities whether recession strikes or not. I'll be throwing out a few of my best ideas here weekly on TheStreet.com, and sharing insight on how I'm managing my broader portfolio, so make sure to tune back in for some investing advice.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV