Google's Android Is Here -- iPhone Better Watch Its Back
BARCELONA -- It really does exist.
I've just come from a demonstration of the Android software platform for portable devices here at the 2008 Mobile World Congress.
Android is an open-source operating system that is reportedly the heart-and-soul of the upcoming Google (GOOG) phone, among others. Open source means anyone can develop software for and freely use the platform.
I saw Android in action on a very basic GSM/GPRS handset that has a very simple 200MHz ARM processor. It was able to make and receive calls, email and SMS messages, and browse the Web, play audio and video files, handle YouTube files and even help you with directions.Of course, since Google is the major force behind the Open Handset Alliance, which is the major force behind the software. So, it's no surprise that Android the Web browser opens to the Google search page, Gmail is Android's email client and Google Maps is what you use to find where you're going with Android. What I've learned today is that Android will take many forms. Depending on the sophistication of the hardware involved (what the processor chip can handle or whether it has a touch screen or high-speed data connection), this new mobile OS platform will spawn many different styles and types of mobile devices. A number of chip manufacturers here at the show, such as Texas Instruments (TXN), Qualcomm (QCOM), Marvel (MRVL), NEC (NIPNY) and ST Micro (STM) are quietly demonstrating what a super-duper Android device might, could and will look like in the near future. Actually, if you're dying to see what Android looks like for yourself you can download and install the online software development kit
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV