Why You Might Give Google Another Chance
Lindsay says Google is recession-resistant -- but not recession-proof.
"They're not totally insulated from it," he says, noting that the company could take a hit if advertisers decide to pull back on spending. Consumers also will be less likely to click through ads for, say, a plasma TV, if they're feeling the pain.
At the same time, with advertisers shifting their spending from traditional mediums to online, Google still stands to weather -- and even benefit from -- a downturn.
Citigroup analyst Mark Mahaney notes that over the last two years, Google's forward price-to-earnings ratio has ranged between 25 and 35. At $500, Google's P/E ratio of 25 would suggest a bottom is at hand.As for any potential merger between Yahoo! (YHOO) and Microsoft (MSFT), Mahaney expects Google to remain on top. Google is widely expected to maintain its lead over the two companies in search, even if they combine their resources. Lindsay says Google may even benefit from the merger by stealing away some of its rivals' customers as well as its workers. "We think it's probably going to be a net positive for Google," he says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV