Saving for Your Kid's College: Start Here, and Start Now
Editor's note: Ask TheStreet is designed to answer questions about the market, terms, strategies and investment methods. Please email us to ask a question, but keep in mind that we cannot offer specific investment- or stock-related advice.
What do you think of buying a particular stock as a long-term strategy to pay for my daughter's college education? -- S. (via Stockpickr Answers)
To the question of whether any single stock is a good long-term investment strategy to finance college, the answer is an unequivocal "No."
When you're looking at a long-term, big-budget goal like college, asset allocation rules apply (see "Allocate Your Assets Like a Pro").If you want to avoid the headache and risk of allocating an education-focused portfolio yourself, taking the hands-off route with a target-date mutual fund (offered by most 529 plans ) is a good way to go. Here's what you need to know if you're ready to set up a college savings plan for your little Einstein. Paying for College: It's All About Goals According to Stuart Ritter, a certified financial planner at T. Rowe Price (TROW), there are three decisions you need to make when planning for any financial goal: how much to save, what kind of account to use and what investment strategy to follow.
A Tear-Free Guide to College Savings
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV