Monday's Financial Winners & Losers
Financial stocks were mostly drifting higher in step with the rest of the market on Monday, even as December new-home sales
The decline -- 4.7% from the prior month and nearly 41% year over year -- is but the latest disappointment following the bursting of the housing bubble some time ago, which led directly into the subprime muck that has blotted the financial sector so thoroughly in the past few months.
Still, the NYSE Financial Sector Index fought against today's initial downward momentum to shimmy up 195.89 points, or 2.6%, at 7,838.23, in recent trading. The KBW Bank Index also was up substantially.
Citigroup (C) lent support to both indices, recently adding 2.5% to $27.31, after several published reports indicated that it's filing with Chinese regulators to establish an investment-banking joint venture with Central China Securities Holdings.Also riding higher was Nymex Holdings (NMX) after it and CME Group (CME), a fellow commodities exchange, confirmed that they're in "preliminary"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV