Monday's Financial Winners & Losers
Financial stocks were mostly drifting higher in step with the rest of the market on Monday, even as December new-home sales
The decline -- 4.7% from the prior month and nearly 41% year over year -- is but the latest disappointment following the bursting of the housing bubble some time ago, which led directly into the subprime muck that has blotted the financial sector so thoroughly in the past few months.
Still, the NYSE Financial Sector Index fought against today's initial downward momentum to shimmy up 195.89 points, or 2.6%, at 7,838.23, in recent trading. The KBW Bank Index also was up substantially.
Citigroup (C) lent support to both indices, recently adding 2.5% to $27.31, after several published reports indicated that it's filing with Chinese regulators to establish an investment-banking joint venture with Central China Securities Holdings.Also riding higher was Nymex Holdings (NMX) after it and CME Group (CME), a fellow commodities exchange, confirmed that they're in "preliminary"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV