Sallie Drops Lawsuit
Sallie Mae (SLM) on Monday said it was dropping its lawsuit over a failed $25 billion buyout deal, as two of the participants in the scuttled transaction teamed with other banks to extend $31 billion in credit to the student lender.
Bank of America (BAC) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM), who were part of a consortium led by private-equity firm J.C. Flowers & Co., led a group of its peers in extending $31 billion in credit good for up to a year.
The funding replaces $30 billion in interim financing the banks would have put in place under the failed deal. Barclays (BCS), Deutche Bank (DB), Credit Suisse (CS), Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) and UBS (UBS) also teamed in the effort.
Sallie Mae has struggled in recent months amid the lingering credit crunch. The lender last week reported a $1.6 billion fourth-quarter loss, due largely to rising loan-loss provisions. During a conference call discussing the results, CEO Albert Lord apologized for using profanity during a contentious December call with analysts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV