CME Group, Nymex Talk Merger
Chicago-based CME Group, which operates the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, is offering Nymex shareholders $36 in cash and 0.1323 shares of its common stock, in exchange for each Nymex share. Based on Friday's closing prices, the potential deal values Nymex at $119.22 a share, a premium of 11.3%. The two exchanges said in a joint statement they are entering a 30-day exclusive negotiating period.
CME Group said it expects to maintain trading floors in New York. Nymex said it would repurchase 816 New York Mercantile Exchange memberships upon closing for up to $500 million.
The potential deal comes less than two weeks after NYSE Euronext (NYX), which operates the New York Stock Exchange, said it was acquiring its smaller rival, the American Stock Exchange, for $260 million in stock.Nymex shares were rising 8.2% to $116.02 in early trading. CME Group's stock was up 2.5% to $644.86.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV