Friday's Winners & Losers: E*Trade
Apple (AAPL) continued to slide, down $4.49, or 3.3%, to $131.11 in recent trading.
The stock is now down 6.4 percent since the company announced sluggish iPod sales and a disappointing forecast for the current quarter earlier in the week.
For the current quarter, Apple is forecasting $6.8 billion in revenue and EPS of 94 cents. Analysts were expecting $6.98 billion in revenue and EPS of $1.09.
Juniper Networks (JNPR) was up 35 cents, or 1.33%, to $26.65.The Sunnyvale, Calif., company posted strong sales of its networking equipment in the fourth quarter. Sales were up 36 percent to $809 million from $595 million in the prior year. Net income was $504 million, or 87 cents a share, compared to $440 million, or 73 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. FirstFed Financial (FED) surrendered 9.1% to $35.44 even though the Santa Monica, Calif., bank came in above targets with income of $8.4 million, or 61 cents a share. As is the case with so many other banks these days, that represents a severe year-on-year decline -- some 75% -- as its loan-loss provision more than quadrupled sequentially to $21 million, in line with guidance issued earlier this month. Analysts had sought earnings of 59 cents a share, according to Thomson Financial. E*Trade (ETFC), on the other hand, jumped 6% after the online broker predicted a "return to profitability" this year, with intentions to slice off $360 million in expenses and accumulating excess cash "approaching $1 billion" in its banking unit by the end of the year. In November, E*Trade announced a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV