Scared? Rest Easy With This Portfolio
If the emails I've received from readers and the comments left on my blog are any indication, a lot of folks are pretty unnerved by the stock market's recent decline.
So I've constructed a portfolio of exchange-traded funds and mutual funds with returns that have a low correlation to the S&P 500. In fact, this is almost a lazy man's portfolio: The only thing you need to monitor is whether any new products are introduced that will turn out to be better mousetraps.
The benefit of this sort of approach is that you have a good chance of being down less in a bad market. But you will likely be up less the next time the market is up 25% in a year.
PowerShares S&P 500 Buy Write Portfolio (PBP), 30% allocation.PBP is a proxy for U.S. exposure. It is a new fund that benchmarks to the CBOE Buy Write Index. As you can see from the two-year chart comparing it with the S&P 500, the Buy-Write index feels the ups and downs but does so with reliably less volatility. Over the last 10 years, it has had about 73% of the volatility. So PBP should track the Buy-Write index and also offer some yield (the dividend will be composed of dividends from the 500 stocks in S&P plus the call premium. You can read more about the fund
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV