Are IPOs Poised for Another Banner Year?
Initial public offerings hit the market in 2007 at a pace not seen since the go-go days of the Internet boom, and IPO experts believe there could be more of the same in 2008.
"The general tenor of the marketplace for 2008 is encouraging," says Richard Peterson, director of capital markets for Thomson Financial.
Peterson and other IPO watchers qualify their optimism by noting that public offerings would suffer if the U.S. economy were to dive into recession. (Like others quoted here, Peterson was interviewed in December, prior to markets sinking after Christmas.) Otherwise, they believe a revival of technology IPOs and an influx of foreign-company IPOs should keep U.S. investors busy in 2008.
IPO volume in 2008 should be "at or above" the turnout for 2007, barring a recession, says Kathleen Smith, a principal at
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV