Three Construction Plays Set for a Knockdown
If the economy really is deteriorating as many fear, then there are numerous sectors poised to take even more hits.
In particular, firms with peripheral exposure to the real estate market -- namely office furniture makers, building material suppliers, and construction firms -- face significant hurdles. And within these groups are three names to avoid: HNI (HNI), Vulcan Materials (VMC), and Perini (PCR).
The overall bearish theme is that these sectors are hurt in a slowing economy as office vacancies rise, commercial construction starts fall, and government spending on transportation infrastructure weakens.
While these stocks are at or near 52-week lows because of their close ties to the real estate slump, they haven't been truly hammered like other sectors, such as the homebuilders.The stocks also aren't heavily shorted yet -- with each carrying a short interest of less than 12% of the float. So hedge funds are looking at these names as the next popular shorts. The companies either declined to comment for this story or could not be reached for comment.
HNI's Office TroubleIn late November, Goldman Sachs downgraded the entire office furniture sector to "cautious." The worst name in the group is HNI, says the note from analyst Christopher Agnew, who rates the stock a sell. "We believe HNI faces the stiffest headwinds (of the group) from a slowing U.S. economy," he wrote.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV