This ETF Might Benefit From Active Management
PIE is fairly concentrated with a 33% allocation to Indonesia, 19% to China, 12% to Malaysia and 12% to Brazil. There are also six more countries with much smaller weights. I don't think the fund takes on too much single-stock risk; the largest company, Timah, an Indonesian mining and engineering conglomerate, has a 5.8% weight.
One thing that stands out is that the P/E ratio of these holdings averages out to 18.84, which, although cheaper than EEM's average P/E of 21.58, is high by historical standards. It used to be that investors in emerging market stocks were compensated for the extra risk with P/E ratios that were generally lower than in U.S. stocks. The fact that this is no longer true is an argument for not taking on too much emerging markets exposure.
If you compare the fund's current holdings to its holdings from Sept. 30, which are available on PowerShares' Web site, you can see that the its geographical weightings have changed dramatically. At the end of the third quarter, it allocated 30% to China, compared with 19% now; 14% to Korea (which has a zero weight now); and 11% to Peru, which is currently weighted at 1.34%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV