A Stable Stock for a Winner-Take-All Market
As if the past week weren't fun enough, we've now got fourth-quarter earnings to look forward to.
Five companies in the S&P 500 (SPX) will report earnings this week, highlighted by Alcoa (AA) on Tuesday, but then all hell will break lose the week starting Jan. 14 as one penitent after another steps up into Wall Street's public confession booth.
At the moment, according to Thomson Financial, the estimated aggregate growth rate for the S&P 500 companies in the fourth quarter of last year is at a stunning -9.5%.
If there's one reason why the market has tanked recently, it is this: On Oct. 1, the estimated growth rate for the fourth quarter was fantasized at +11.5%. Unless a miracle happens -- and to be honest, I'd be short the Miracle Index, if there were one -- these will be the first back-to-back quarters of negative earnings growth for the S&P since the fourth quarter of 2001 and the first quarter of 2002.Of course, most of the downward pressure on earnings has come from financial stocks. Thomson reports that estimates for diversified financial companies suggest their earnings will be down by $14.3 billion, investment banks and brokerages will lose $12.9 billion and mortgage lenders will be down $6.3 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV