Recession Naysayers Hold Out
Taking a contrarian view can be a grizzly experience.
It is for MKM Partners' economist Michael Darda, who believes all the recent hype in the markets about a recession is overblown. Darda, a frequent business television guest, appeared on CNBC Jan. 2 sporting a new beard. Darda told TheStreet.com that he will not shave the beard "until the recession talk ends or housing recovers, whichever comes first."
Darda is a member of a small and increasingly frustrated crew of economists and market strategists who refuse to jump onto the recession bandwagon, despite its increasing popularity.
Since 2008 began, market participants have become ever more pessimistic about prospects for the U.S. economy to pull out of the current housing and financial crisis without contracting. The housing market continues to decline as borrowers face more mortgage-rate resets and as bad loans mount on lenders' and banks' balance sheets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV