Feuerstein's Biotech-Stock Mailbag
Happy New Year and welcome back to the Biotech Mailbag, version 2008.
Let's get right to your emails. D.M. writes: "Happy new year! I know your opinion of Medarex (MEDX) in the $15's. How do you feel about it in the $10's?"
Medarex isn't a favorite stock of mine, but I do think it's more attractive at $10 than $15.
Clearly, the market sees through whatever positive spin Medarex is putting on the recent phase III data for its melanoma drug ipilimumab. The stock's drop to $10 is discounting the likelihood of near-term approval.Ipilimumab as a monotherapy just doesn't seem to be effective enough on melanoma. Medarex insists that it will seek FDA approval based on the monotherapy data. I have no reason to doubt they will file, but I don't see investors giving them much credit for it. I think the drug's best shot at success in melanoma is in combination trials, which are ongoing. From a fundamental perspective, and talking to institutional investors who were short Medarex going into last month's data release, I didn't get the sense that there was much of an appetite to stay short below $10. Medarex does have a deep pipeline and a long list of development partners, so there is some value here. Plus, there's always the possibility that Medarex gets acquired.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV