Investors Pull Money From Stock Funds
Investors started off the New Year on sour note as they resumed pulling their money out of stock funds.
TrimTabs Investment Research said investors pulled $10.31 billion out of all equity mutual funds, net of new purchases, during the week ended Wednesday.
That more than reversed the $6.99 billion of net new purchases they made the previous week.
Equity funds that invest primarily in U.S. stocks saw a net $9.6 billion walk out the door, after pulling in a net $5.25 billion the previous week.Equity funds that invest primarily in non-U.S. stocks posted an outflow of $728 million compared with an inflow of $1.73 billion during the previous week. TrimTabs CEO Charles Biderman said many investors are taking their money out of equity funds and putting it into commodities. The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 13,043.96 on Wednesday, down 3.7% from 13,551.69 on Dec. 26. "Flow follows performance," he said. "It goes out from areas performing horribly to areas that performing better." But investors added a net $9.9 billion to exchange-traded funds that invest in U.S. stocks, although that was less than half the $24.09 billion they added the previous week. ETFs that invest in non-U.S. stocks took in a net $1.31 billion, up from $958 million the previous week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV