Investors Pull Money From Stock Funds
Investors started off the New Year on sour note as they resumed pulling their money out of stock funds.
TrimTabs Investment Research said investors pulled $10.31 billion out of all equity mutual funds, net of new purchases, during the week ended Wednesday.
That more than reversed the $6.99 billion of net new purchases they made the previous week.
Equity funds that invest primarily in U.S. stocks saw a net $9.6 billion walk out the door, after pulling in a net $5.25 billion the previous week.Equity funds that invest primarily in non-U.S. stocks posted an outflow of $728 million compared with an inflow of $1.73 billion during the previous week. TrimTabs CEO Charles Biderman said many investors are taking their money out of equity funds and putting it into commodities. The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 13,043.96 on Wednesday, down 3.7% from 13,551.69 on Dec. 26. "Flow follows performance," he said. "It goes out from areas performing horribly to areas that performing better." But investors added a net $9.9 billion to exchange-traded funds that invest in U.S. stocks, although that was less than half the $24.09 billion they added the previous week. ETFs that invest in non-U.S. stocks took in a net $1.31 billion, up from $958 million the previous week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV