Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks generally tracked lower than the major indices Thursday. The Russell 2000 and the SmallCap 600 both ended the day 0.9% lower.
Wall Street downgrades hit a few stocks in various sectors. AXT (AXTI) fell 11.9% to $5.95 after Roth Capital downgraded the semiconductor company to hold from buy. Wachovia lowered YRC Worldwide (YRCW) from market perform to underperform, and shares of the trucking company fell 10.3% to $13.84.
Overstock.com (OSTK) fell Thursday after the online retailer announced after Wednesday's market close the departure of its COO. Jason Lindsey, the company's president and chief operating officer since April 2006, resigned from those posts and from the board of directors, effective Dec. 31, 2007.
The day also saw winners in the small-cap space too, and a couple of energy companies figured prominently.Enterra Energy Trust (ENT) soared 24% to $1.58 after the Calgary-based company said it inked deals to sell oil and gas properties in Alberta to three unnamed parties for a total of $40.9 million. Proceeds from the sales, which are expected to close by mid-February, will be used to pay down debt. Also trending higher was Westside Energy (WHT), which climbed 22% to $2.77 on news of a reverse merger. Under the deal, Westside will acquire all the ownership interests in privately held Crusader Energy Group and issue about 152.4 million shares of its common stock to Crusader. The Crusader management team, which will manage the merged company, will receive options to purchase an additional 35 million shares at an exercise price of $3 apiece. The resulting company will be renamed Crusader Energy Group. The deal is expected to close in the second quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV