Investors Shrug at State Street Charge
Updated from 8:44 a.m. EST
State Street (STT) surged nearly 8% after investors shrugged off the bank's announcement of a $279 million fourth-quarter charge and the departure of a top executive as subprime investment losses mount.
The Boston-based institutional investment giant says it will take an after-tax charge of $279 million, or 71 cents a share, to cover potential legal costs related to losses from its mortgage-backed investments. State Street plans to create a $618 million legal defense fund as a result of the investment losses. The company also says William Hunt, the CEO of State Street Global Advisors, has resigned and James Phalen has taken over as interim chief of the investment management arm.
"We have reviewed the actively managed fixed-income strategies at [State Street Global Advisors] that contained investments backed by subprime mortgages. Based on our review and discussions with certain customers who were invested in these strategies, we have established this reserve to address legal exposure and other costs relating to these strategies," State Street CEO Ron Logue said in a press release.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV