Wednesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:08 p.m. EST with new stock prices
Like their broader-market counterparts, small-cap stocks flirted with progress early in the day Wednesday only to give in to a post-holiday hangover. The Russell 2000 slipped 1.6% to 753.55 and the S&P SmallCap 600 slumped 1.2% to 390.41.
One of the day's big losers, VeriFone (PAY), sank 14.8% to $19.81 after announcing that it will restate financial results for the first three quarters of its fiscal year ended Oct. 31, 2007. The San Jose, Calif.-based maker of electronic payment systems said after the market close Monday that it is uncertain how much time it will take for an audit committee to complete its investigation of events leading up to the restatements, but that it's unlikely to file its annual report before March.
Direct marketer Harte-Hanks (HHS) hit a new 52-week low after Deutsche Bank downgraded the San Antonio, Texas, company to sell from hold and a reduced price target to $15 from $18. Harte-Hanks also hired Doug Shepard to the serve as CFO, a position that company president Dean Blythe has filled on an interim basis. Shares were recently trading down 9.8% at $15.61.On the winning side, Los Gatos, Calif.-based Akeena Solar (AKNS) jumped 43.8% to $11.45 on news that the maker of solar systems landed a distribution deal with Suntech (STP). Suntech will distribute Akeena's Andalay panels in Europe, Japan and Australia starting this month. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV