Rough Start for Chip Stocks
SAN FRANCISCO -- Semiconductor stocks began the new year with a dud, thanks to a slew of downgrades from a Wall Street analyst.
The downgrades dragged down the entire semi sector, with the Philadelphia Stock Exchange Semiconductor Sector Index slipping 3% to 395 -- its lowest level in 16 months.
The news follows weak monthly sales data from the Semiconductor Industry Association on Monday, in which global chip sales posted the lowest sales growth in at least five years.
Cramer: Ignore the Semi Downgrades
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV