Video-Game Publishers See Another Blockbuster Year
Wii Fit: 2007 was a banner year for Nintendo as the Wii became a gaming phenomenon. Wii Fit, which the company demonstrated in September, could extend its run in 2008. The fitness game allows users to stand on a special accessory called the Wii Balance Board and see their movements on the board reflected in the game.
"Nintendo does some very creative stuff that's a complete hit or miss," says Divnich. "The Wii Fit is being targeted towards the whole family so it will be interesting to see how the U.S. market takes to it."
While Nintendo's Wii may be a huge success, independent publishers have yet to see strong sales for their Wii games. Wii Fit's success could show that all Wii gamers are looking for are titles that are interactive, fun and easy to play.
Metal Gear Solid 4: Publisher Konami's (KNM) game for Sony's PlayStation 3 console is part of a hugely successful series.The game, scheduled for release in second-quarter fiscal 2008, will be a bigger deal for Sony than for Konami. The game will be released exclusively for the PS3, a console that has been struggling against rivals Xbox 360 and the Wii. "2008 is going to be the year when PS3 proves itself or falls down," says Orland. "So far they have just about kept themselves in the game but next year is when they have to go for the kill. With releases such as Metal Gear Solid IV Sony has given itself a chance at success."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV