Friday's Financial Winners & Losers
Financial stocks began generally losing their grip on positive territory around mid-morning Friday as a glut of corrosive news caught up with the sector.
Poor housing data contributed to the reversal. The Census Bureau reported that November home sales slid 9% sequentially and 34.4% vs. last year, and that the new homes inventory rose to 9.3 months.
Meanwhile, bond insurers MBIA (MBI) and Ambac (ABK), already prominent victims of the ongoing credit crisis, took more hits after The Wall Street Journal reported that Warren Buffett is launching a competing bond insurer through his Berkshire Hathaway (BRKA) firm.
According to the Journal, the new entity aims to allow local governments to borrow more cheaply, and is planned to start up in New York today.MBIA lately surrendered $3.31, or 14.9%, to $18.96; Ambac was off 13.3% at $25.27. Berkshire traded up 1.9% to $140,400. Elsewhere in the sector, beleaguered mortgage investor Luminent Mortgage Capital (LUM) saw heavy trading following yesterday's disclosure of a huge third-quarter loss -- $520.6 million, or $12.17 a share. A year earlier, the San Francisco-based company lost just 17 cents a share, and in the second quarter it earned 20 cents a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV