To-Do List for 2008: Tackle Your Finances
Don't waste your time making New Year's resolutions. Instead, make a list -- and actually do the things on that list. These tasks are not so difficult to accomplish, if you tackle them one by one. In fact, you'll get a great sense of accomplishment. Here's a great "to-do" list for the New Year. You might be able to check off a few without even trying!
Detail your debts. Make a list of what you owe and the interest rate and minimum payment. Remember, if you double the minimum monthly payment, keep paying the same amount each month and never charge another penny, you'll pay off your credit card in less than three years -- no matter how large your current balance.
Check your mortgage. Plan to pay extra every month so you can pay the loan off early and save a fortune in interest. If your rate is floating, or if you have a home equity loan, consolidate now to a fixed-rate loan, if possible. Help is available at 800-CALL-FHA, if you're not behind on your payments. Contact your loan servicing company immediately if you're in danger of missing a payment.
Get credit counseling. If necessary, contact Consumer Counseling Credit Services. One call to 800-388-2227 will put you in touch with the nearest local affiliated agency. You can talk over the phone to get unbiased, safe advice.Secure your identity. I recommend
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV