Phone Makers Seek Right Touch
Mobile-phone trendsetters like the feel of the touchscreen theme coming next year.
Apple's (AAPL) iPhone struck a chord with consumers and industry competitors in 2007. The sleek, big-screen $400 phone delivered as promised on a whole new, more compelling user interface, thanks largely to its multi-touch screen.
The iPhone has since become the
"Slim was the big thing for phones in the past couple years; now it is touchscreens," says IAG Research's Roger Entner. "I think you will see some very good touchscreen phones by this time next year."One of the more hotly anticipated phones is Research In Motion's (RIMM) 9000 series BlackBerry. The phone exists in concept only at this point, and people familiar with the company say it probably won't hit the market until the second half of next year. The phone is expected to have a big touchscreen and a keyboard, but the final design has yet to be decided. No. 1 phonemaker Nokia (NOK) is expected to have two touchscreen phones sometime next year. At least one of the phones -- tentatively dubbed the N96 -- will have a pulsing touchscreen, a trend that started in 2007. LG introduced the touchscreen Voyager with Verizon (VZ) this fall. It was one of the first on the market to sport both a pulsing screen and a flip-open keyboard. LG will likely make improvements on the Voyager and is expected to introduce a sleeker touchscreen unit similar to its Prada, known as the MS25.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV