Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:07 p.m. EST with new stock prices
Small-cap stocks fell hard Thursday, making the major indices' losses look mild by comparison. The Russell 2000 shed 3% to 773.52.
Lowered guidance hurt several companies on the down day. Shares of Fremont, Calif.-based Avanex (AVNX), which makes fiber-optic products, took a 28.9% hit to 97 cents as the company announced that revenue for its fiscal second-quarter would be between $51 million and $53 million, which falls below the low end of previous guidance of $56 million to $58 million. Avanex is filing an arbitration complaint against French optical modules maker 3S Photonics for prematurely ending its exclusive distribution agreement with the company.
Shares of Sterling Financial (STSA), meanwhile, slipped 10.9% to $17.44 on lowered fourth-quarter guidance. Thanks to an increased charge for credit costs, the Spokane, Wash., bank now expects fourth-quarter EPS of 31 cents to 34 cents and full-year EPS of $1.84 to $1.87. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial forecast income of 53 cents a share for the quarter and $2.09 for the year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV