Wednesday's Health Winners & Losers
Biotech news was thin, and health indices were flat midweek despite a halted clinical program and a few stock offerings and business deals. Immtech Pharmaceuticals' (IMM) stock took a beating Wednesday after the company announced the Food and Drug Administration put a clinical hold on its development program for pafuramidine, an experimental treatment in late-stage studies for Pneumocystis pneumonia and African sleeping sickness.
The company said preliminary findings from a safety study revealed abnormal laboratory values in several volunteers following treatment with the drug, and patients are now being closely monitored for liver values. Shares fell $2.90, or 49.6%, to $2.95.
Headed slightly in the other direction, Cubist Pharmaceuticals (CBST) said Wednesday that it would buy Illumigen Biosciences for $9 million in cash. Cubist expects to file an IND for Illumigen's lead candidate, a Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) treatment, in 2008. Ilumigen will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Cubist, and Cubist will pay Illumigen up to $75.5 million during the development of the HCV treatment.
If Cubist develops Illumigen products for things other than HCV, the companies said development and regulatory milestone payments could amount to $117 million. And if any Illumigen product is commercialized, Cubist could pay an additional $140 million in milestone payments.Cubist shares were trading down 48 cents, or 2.2%, at $21.77. The stock is a component of the Nasdaq biotechnology index, which was up 4.01, or 0.5%, at 863.99.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV