More on the Tricky Rules of Religious Displays
The following is a transcript of "
Hello, and welcome to Legal Lad's Quick and Dirty Tips for a More Lawful Life.
But first, a disclaimer: Although I am an attorney, the legal information in this podcast is not intended to be a substitute for seeking personalized legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Further, I do not intend to create an attorney-client relationship with any listener.
This episode is the second of a two-part series on the Establishment Clause.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. ...Many Americans love December because it contains Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanza, Solstice, and other religious celebrations. Sometimes, government entities choose to get in the holiday spirit by displaying ornate Christmas trees, menorahs and wreaths. But, when do such displays become an impermissible "establishment" of religion? While not completely consistent, the Supreme Court has adopted a general test whereby a government holiday display is impermissible where a reasonable passerby would conclude from the display that the government endorses a religion. In a leading case on the issue, Lynch v. Donnelly, the Court considered a Christmas display erected by a downtown merchants' association in cooperation with the City of Pawtucket, Rhode Island. The display included a Christmas tree, a Santa Claus house, candy-striped poles, colored lights, a banner reading "Seasons Greetings," and a nativity scene, also known as a crèche. In a 5-4 decision, the Court upheld the display of the nativity against an Establishment Clause challenge.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV