Friday's Financial Winners & Losers
Financial stocks were blasting off Friday, together with the jubilant broad indices, in a last full-trading-day hurrah before the markets close on Christmas. Trading will end early on Monday.
Leading the skyward surge was First Marblehead (FMD), which was up some 70% after Goldman Sachs (GS) agreed to inject the student lender with up to $260.5 million by buying up to 19.99% of the firm's shares outstanding as of the time the deal closes. That kicks off today with a purchase of $59.8 million in securities convertible to shares at $11.24 apiece. Then, upon regulatory clearance, Goldman will buy up to another $200.7 million worth for a $15 per-share conversion price.
Goldman additionally agreed to establish a $1 billion warehouse lending facility for the company. Further, First Marblehead will suspend its dividend "for the foreseeable future" in an effort to preserve its cash levels. First Marblehead shares were jumping $7.65 to $18.89. Goldman was adding 3% at $208.79.
Merrill Lynch (MER) may also hop on the capital-infusion bandwagon: the troubled New York broker is currently in late-stage negotiations to get as much as $5 billion from Singapore-based Temasek Holdings, according to The Wall Street Journal. Shares gained 1.3% to $55.20.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV