Top Rocket Stocks for Week of Dec. 24
Updated from Dec. 24 at 10:06 a.m. EST
Holiday-shortened trading weeks such as this one are generally thinly traded and tend to be best suited for short-term trades. With a shortened week, volatility generally increases, while overall market volume decreases as people leave work early and try to enjoy the last days of the year.
Currently, the "Christmas Itch" is in full swing. This is the tendency for media pundits to start telling us that this Christmas season will be slower than the rest. Despite all the micro issues within the economy, the "Christmas Itch" seems to happen each and every year, and each year it's always a record-breaking year in terms of sales.
This week's Rocket Stocks portfolio is mostly focused on snapback plays into the new year.But before I make any recommendations, let's see how last week's Rocket Stock picks fared in another rough market.
- Timberland (TBL): Up 9.7% for the week.
- Columbia Sportswear (COLM): Up 5% for the week.
- Nike (NKE): Up 3.5% for the week.
- Best Buy (BBY), a midweek addition, ending the week up 1.7% from Wednesday.
- Genesis Lease (GLS), another midweek addition, ending the week up 1.4% from Wednesday.
- AT&T (T): Up 1.1% for the week.
- Adobe Systems (ADBE): A midweek sell, up as much as 2% and finishing the week up 1%.
- Goldman Sachs (GS): Ending the week essentially flat.
- DynCorp (DCP): Up as much as 2%, but ending the week down 2.8%.
- Security Capital Assurance (SCA): Up as much as 17.4% on the week, but finished down 4.8%.
- Sirius (SIRI): Down 5% for the week.
- Evergreen Solar (ESLR): Down 6.8% for the week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV