Thursday's Late Winners & Losers
The maker of Blackberry handheld devices earned a reported $370.5 million, or 65 cents a share, compared with 31 cents a share a year ago. $10.7 million of that derived from a tax-related gain. Revenue roughly doubled to $1.67 billion, coming ahead of the $1.65 billion average analysts estimate from Thomson Financial.
RIMM also pegged current-quarter sales at an above par range of $1.8 billion and $1.87 billion. Wall Street is seeking $1.75 billion. Shares were gaining $12.60 to $119.59.
Tibco Software (TIBX), meanwhile, added 5.9% with the share price climbing to $7.75 after saying that non-GAAP income totaled $34.2 million, or 18 cents a share, beating analysts' per-share estimates by 3 cents. A year ago, the Palo Alto, Calif., company made 14 cents a share. Revenue, at $186.1 million, was also higher than expected.Also among the late losers was Jabil Circuit (JBL) which surrendered 10.6% to $16.47 after the tech-products maker estimated fiscal second-quarter "core" profit of 16 cents to 20 cents a share, which would come in well under the 31-cent average analyst call. Sales should be between $3 billion and $3.1 billion -- at least $200 million below targets. In the quarter ended Nov. 30, the St. Petersburg, Fla., company's core income leapt by 24.1% to 36 cents a share, which meets the consensus.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV