Thursday's Winners & Losers: Bear Stearns Shares Bear Up Well
Bear Stearns (BSC) was among the volume leaders after the New York broker said that $1.9 billion in mortgage-related writedowns disintegrated its bottom line to a loss of $878 million, or $6.90 a share, in the fiscal fourth quarter. Just last month, CFO Sam Molinaro had pegged the writedowns at just $1.2 billion, though he has also proved prescient in adding, "[I] don't want to predict that things couldn't get worse, because things keep surprising."
The report came a day after Britain's Barclays (BCS) sued Bear over one of its troubled subprime-focused hedge funds, according to several published reports. Bear shares, following some mixed trading, closed up 0.9% at $91.42.
Bond insurer MBIA (MBI) fared much worse, with shares tanking more than 26% on a crushing disclosure. The Armonk, N.Y., firm said it has $8.14 billion in exposure to collateralized debt obligations (CDOs) backed by high-grade collateral, 85% of which consists of other CDOs -- in other words, CDOs backed by other CDOs, or CDO squareds. A Morgan Stanley analyst said he was "shocked" at the lateness of this revelation.
Altus Pharmaceuticals (ALTU) tumbled $4.38, or 44%, to $5.50 Thursday. After the close on Wednesday, the company said that it's regaining the North American commercialization rights to ALTU-238, a once-weekly IV human growth hormone product that uses its drug delivery technology, from Genentech (DNA). Altus said it still plans to resume clinical study of the drug, which is in midstage development, in mid-2008.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV