Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks dipped slightly into negative territory Thursday, dropping slightly lower than the major indices.
Green Bankshares (GRNB) shares sank 33% after the Greeneville, Tenn.-based bank announced lowered fourth-quarter 2007 guidance and withdrew its full-year 2008 view. Citing "deteriorating market conditions," Green Bankshares will increase its loan-loss provisions and now expects earnings between 28 cents and 33 cents a share, vs. 52 cents a share a year ago. Analysts predict EPS of 32 cents. Shares fell $8.70, to $17.58.
Meanwhile, digital imager Presstek (PRST) announced new developments in its delayed third-quarter 2007 regulatory filing today. Citing a review of worldwide inventory, the Hudson, N.H., firm declared that GAAP operating income would be negatively impacted. Presstek also mentioned that the Securities and Exchange Commission is conducting an informal inquiry into its announcement of preliminary third-quarter results. Investors sold the stock down 14% to $4.88 on the news.Leading the winners, shares of Pier 1 Imports (PIR) sailed up 38% to $5.87 after the Fort Worth, Texas, furniture retailer beat expectations with a narrowed third-quarter loss. The company posted a continuing-operations loss of $10 million, or 11 cents a share, vs. a net loss of $72.7 million, or 83 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Thomson financial were expecting a loss of 24 cents a share. Gains were solidified as Morgan Keegan upgraded Pier 1 to market perform from underperform.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV