Wednesday's Health Winners & Losers
Health indices were largely flat on Wednesday after a few stocks budged on a wide range of business and regulatory news.
First, on the regulatory end, Abiomed (ABMD) said Wednesday that the Food and Drug Administration approved its iPulse Circulatory Support System, which supports devices designed to treat patients that suffer from acute heart failure. The company said it's the first approved device to support ventricular assist devices and intra-aortic balloons in the catheterization lab and surgery suite.
Shares edged up just 30 cents, or 2%, to $15.01.
On the falling end, Neurocrine (NBIX), which recently tanked after the FDA didn't approve its sleep drug indiplon and later announced that it would cut staff by 130 people, was still on the decline Wednesday. The company said Tuesday in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Committee that it expects an expense of about $7 million related to the staff cut. Shares were down another 30 cents, or 6.4%, to $4.39. Prior to Wednesday, the company's 52-week range was $4.43 to $14.88. The stock is a component of the Nasdaq biotechnology index, which was down 1.73, or 0.21%, at 833.15 on Wednesday.Another update--GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) completed its $1.65 billion buyout Reliant Pharmaceuticals on Wednesday. Thus Glaxo officially gains Reliant's lead product, triglyceride-controlling agent Lovaza, in addition to three other cardiovascular drugs. Glaxo edged up just 6 cents, or 0.1%, at $50.95.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV