Strike May Rewrite Stocks' Script
Most media giants have seen their stocks decline since the strike began. While the drops have come amid selling in the broader stock market indices, which have been buffeted by continued credit concerns in the financial sector, they have been steeper than the rest of the market's.
NBC, which was mired in a ratings slump even before the strike hit, has taken the extraordinary step of giving advertisers cash back for primetime ratings shortfalls rather than compensating them with "make goods," or additional TV spots.Jordan Breslow, director of broadcast research with MediaCom, says he expects other networks to take similar steps, and if the strike lingers on, he says the networks may cancel the "upfronts," the annual confab between the media networks and Madison Avenue that usually amounts to entertainment, nightly parties and an orgy of ad spending. "The networks' press tour in January has already been canceled, so there may be no pilot development," says Breslow. "There may be no upfront, because they have nothing to show. They may just rely on phone conversations and going one-on-one to each of the agencies and saying 'this is what we have.' I hope it doesn't come to that but it's very likely."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV