Tuesday's Health Winners & Losers
Health indices took to a more positive track Tuesday -- with regulatory and clinical news as well as licensing agreements serving as catalysts for several stocks.
Epix Pharmaceuticals (EPIX) announced results from a midstage, two-week clinical trial of its candidate for Alzheimer's disease. The company said the drug was safe and well-tolerated and that patients who took the 150-mg dose showed statistically significant improvement in cognitive function and memory compared to placebo. Shares added 96 cents, or 32.3%, to $3.93. The stock is a component of the Nasdaq biotechnology index, which was up 7.32, or 0.9%, at 836.20.
Another winner, small-cap Escalon Medical (ESMC) said Tuesday that its Drew Scientific subsidiary received approval from the Food and Drug Administration to market the D3 Hematology System, for automatic three-part differential blood analysis. Drew Scientific plans to begin shipments of the product in the U.S. before the end of the year. Shares rose 81 cents, or 24.7%, to $4.09.
Eli Lilly (LLY) announced that CEO Sidney Taurel will retire effective March 31, to be replaced by John Lechleiter, current president and chief operating officer.The company separately announced a licensing agreement with BioMS Medical, paying the company $87 million upfront, milestone payments of up to $410 million and royalties on sales. Lilly predicts a charge of 5 cents a share to earnings for acquired, in-process research and development.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV