Tuesday's Financial Winners & Losers
The hamstrung market once again proved thoroughly unpredictable on Tuesday amid persisting credit fears, guiding financial stocks into a midday slide after a seemingly stalwart morning start.
(GS) more or less mirrored these movements even after the New York brokerage posted a
Still, Goldman shares traded largely in negative territory after a short-lived morning struggle to get above water. Recently, the stock was down $7.86, or 3.8%, at $200.77.
Ditto for Cleveland-based Third Federal Savings and Loan (TFSL), which was down 2.7% at $11.95 despite swinging to a fiscal fourth-quarter profit of $15.1 million, or a nickel a share, from a year-ago loss. Those earnings also include a sizable income-tax expense, whereas last year's results were helped by a big tax-related gain.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV