Big Three Face Uncertain Drive Overseas
GM, which is the No. 1 automaker in China, may get to Gaz first. It's currently exploring a deal to partner with the company, having recently lost out on a bid for a stake in Russia's No. 1 automaker, AvtoVaz, to Renault-Nissan -- the company that was in talks for a global alliance with GM last year. Billionaire investor Kirk Kerkorian liquidated his stake in GM after it declined to follow his advice and do a deal with Renault-Nissan.
GM is already the No. 1 non-Russian auto seller in the country, with its Chevrolet and Opel brands growing in popularity. It has a plant in St. Petersburg that will begin production next year, and it has a number of joint ventures and third-party manufacturing deals there, including a partnership with AvtoVaz, to build a small SUV called the Chevy Niva -- the top seller in its category.
GM said its sales in Russia soared by 75% in the third quarter compared to last year to 65,700 vehicles, and a spokesman confirmed that its operations in that country are profitable. Still, while its sales in Europe, which includes Russia, were up 10% to $26.8 billion in the first nine months of the year, its profits in the region on an adjusted basis declined by 27%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV