Big Three Face Uncertain Drive Overseas
Ford's (F) sales in North America comprised 46% of its total auto sales in the first nine months of 2007. It posted a loss of $1.5 billion from its automotive operations in North America for the period.
But Ford Europe -- including its Premier Auto Group, which is on the selling block -- had a $1.4 billion profit. The company's Asia Pacific and Africa division recorded earnings of $130 million.
Chrysler, which has been taken private by Cerberus Capital Management, garners just 8% of its vehicle sales from overseas, but observers say its new private-equity owners view opportunities abroad as its salvation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV