Activision Tops in November Sales
"Guitar Hero III continued to rock the house, selling 1.9 million copies across all platforms during November," said Frazier. "On a year-to-date basis the title has sold 3.3 million copies in the U.S., and Guitar Hero 2 is right behind it at 3.1 million copies."
Electronic Arts' latest game, Rock Band, seen as the rival to Activision's Guitar Hero franchise, sold 382,000 copies on the 360 and PS3 platforms.
Game publisher Ubisoft was another winner during early holiday sales. Its latest release, Assassin's Creed for the Xbox 360 console, ranked third, selling 980,000 copies, while the PS3 version came in tenth, moving 377,000 copies.
"Assassin's Creed has earned a spot in the history books as the best-selling new game at launch, besting the previous record held by (Microsoft's) Gears of War," said Frazier.Microsoft's Halo 3 blockbuster title slowed down, selling just about 387,000 copies for the No. 9 spot. Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii came in second with 1.12 million copies sold, while Wii Play grabbed the fifth spot, selling 564,000 copies. On the hardware side, though, Nintendo continued to beat its competitors by a wide margin, selling twice as many Wiis as Sony's sold PS3s. Nintendo sold 981,000 consoles last month, compared with 519,000 in October, said NPD.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV