Activision Tops in November Sales
Video-game publisher Activision (ATVI) soared to the top of November's holiday sales charts with two bestselling titles.
By contrast, its rival Electronic Arts (ERTS) failed to find a spot among the top 10 games sold during the month.
Activision's latest release, Call of Duty 4, blazed through the month to become the No. 1 title in early holiday shopping.
Call of Duty 4, which runs on Microsoft's (MSFT) Xbox 360 console, sold approximately 1.57 million copies last month and put Activision at the top of the pack."Gamers answered the call, propelling Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on the 360 platform to the top spot for the month in software unit sales. With only one month of retail sales, it is already the four best-selling title in video game sales year-to-date, behind Halo 3 (from Microsoft), Wii Play and Pokemon Diamond (from Nintendo)," said Anita Frazier, an analyst with the NPD group, in a statement. Call of Duty 4's coup comes on the heels of the sucess of Activision's Guitar Hero III. In October, Guitar Hero III topped the charts, selling more than 1.4 million copies within a week of its release. The game, which runs on Sony's (SNE) PlayStation 2 platform, didn't slow down last month, either. Guitar Hero III came in fourth on the charts with 967,000 copies, while the version for Nintendo's Wii took the No. 8 spot with 426,000 copies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV