Asian Markets Drubbed
Asian markets shrugged off the Federal Reserve's funding plan and Wall Street's slight closing gains on Thursday, as the major indices plunged in the worst regionwide selloff so far this month.
In Hong Kong and Japan, the Hang Seng and Nikkei finished at their lowest levels so far for December. The Hang Seng tumbled 776 points, or 2.7%, to 27,744, while the Nikkei dived 395 points, or 2.5%, to 15,536, led by big losses in financials Mitsubishi UFJ (MTU) and Mizuho Financial (MFG). The Taiwanese Taiex ended 302 points, or 3.6% lower, at 8187, its lowest level since the subprime crisis hit in mid-August.
The rest of Asia was sharply down, finishing points away from December lows. In China, the Shanghai Composite Index fell 137 points, or 2.7%, to 4958, falling through the recent benchmark 5000 level, while the South Korean Kospi dipped 11 points, or 0.6%, to 1915.
"I think it is a bit of an overreaction, and it's an overreaction to the confusion about what the Fed is doing," says Tim Rocks, a strategist at Macquarie Bank in Hong Kong. "All credit market issues are being saturated by typical year-end liquidity effects, so you've really just got to see through the next few weeks, and the Fed has been aware of this."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV