University of Oregon Investors Focus on Small-Caps
A Financially Healthy Financial?
Today, the UOIG does hold one financial-related stock. In fact, one they're quite proud of, FTI Consulting (FCN). The company (one of those fee-based financials) makes its money consulting for companies with issues relating to (among other things) valuation , fraud, anti-trust and contract disputes. The stock is up about 106% since January and about 230% since the group bought into it three years ago.
In the coming months, Brookins and his DADCO portfolio plan on stepping back from domestic stocks and looking toward emerging markets and commodities .Sell the Losers Regardless of the brand of investment strategy you subscribe to, Brookins offers a piece of advice worth listening to from his time with UOIG: "Sell the losers." Brookins explains: "Most of our success has been in getting rid of the bad stocks. We take a lot of risk with this [DADCO] portfolio, and when we see that a stock looks like it's going to go down, we cut our losses. If we didn't do that, I don't think we would have performed nearly as well as we have." The UOIG's Best Performers Will the UOIG hold the top spot in the Davidson Student Investment Program? We'll find out next semester. Until then, here are the group's current five best-performing (portfolio-wide) stock holdings, with their original purchase dates and share prices:
- FTI Consulting (FCN): Feb. 20, 2004; $16.30
- Deere & Co. (DE): Oct. 28, 2005; $29.64
- Baxter International (BAX): Nov. 3, 2003; $27.39
- Tsakos Energy Navigation (TNP): Oct. 28, 2005; $17.19
- ArthroCare Corp. (ARTC): Mar. 19, 2007; $36.30
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV