University of Oregon Investors Focus on Small-Caps
Competition, University of Oregon-Style
The University of Oregon has produced competitive greats like Steve Prefontaine (running) and Ahmad Rashad (football), so it's no great surprise that the UOIG likes to compete.
The UOIG is currently ranked No. 1 in the Davidson Student Investment Program for 2007-2008 (which started Sept. 1, 2007).
According to senior Ben Brookins, DADCO's portfolio manager, "We are by far the best performer of the schools
- FTI Consulting (FCN)
- HealthExtras (HLEX)
- Oshkosh Truck Corp. (OSK)
- ArthroCare (ARTC)
- General Communication (GNCMA)
You won't find a lot of financials in the UOIG's portfolios. But the reason for this might not be what you think. Crook says, "I'd love to take credit for the group that we saw the whole credit crunch coming, but we didn't." According to Crook , the group's exit from the financial sector was largely based on the issues they had using traditional valuation methods on these stocks. Crook explains: "Last year we had two regional banks ( PFF Bancorp (PFB) and Pacific Continental Corp. (PCBK)), we had a couple of insurers (including American International Group (AIG)) and a re-insurer ( Everest Re Group (RE)), and slowly but surely we started getting out of them. We had difficulty valuing some of these banks and insurers that are asset-based and not fee-based for the fact that we didn't know how to value
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV