Toll Scorched in Arizona
Butler agrees that the Toll project probably could not be built at a profit today given the high price paid for the land.
In early 2006, when the deal closed, "the market had begun to slow down, but I don't think anyone had bought into that idea yet," Butler says. "People were still buying land with the idea that Phoenix would grow forever.
While investors in Simon Property Group can be comforted that there will be no further writedowns related to that project, shareholders in Toll Brothers and Meritage continue to sit in the dark as to future impairment charges on the projects.
It's appropriate that the project is in a place named "Surprise."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV